Preparing for camping

 As we prepare to leave to go camping I keep a list of things I need to bring for the dogs.  Of course, first is their food.  I pack their food in a convenient food safe dry bag.  A bag like this is easy to pack and carry with a strap.  It's almost the same as a kayak bag and keeps their food  safe and dry.  Because they will be out of their routine and exercising, I also pack wet food and treats.  I like taking training treats to hand out when we're hiking to keep their attention and reward for good behavior.  I keep them in treat pouch that fits through the loop of my backpack.  

Speaking of hiking, I made sure to pack their backpacks so they can carry some of their own gear.  It also helps keep them focused.  I put their food, dog bowls, poop bags, and another essential - Benadryl.  I always make sure to take Benadryl - it's safe for dogs (1 MG per pound of bodyweight) and in case they get bitten by bugs or have a mild allergic reaction it helps.



Now, speaking of bugs, I use Bronco Gold to keep bugs off my dogs.  It's made for horses but I saw on a Facebook group that a lot of people use it on their dogs and it works great.  Sisko is a horse fly MAGNET and they HATE this spray.

Because they'll be swimming I packed their favorite toy, the floating kong.  I've had so many water toys over the years but by far they all prefer this when they are playing in the water.

For hanging out by the campfire we throw down their dog bed.  We keep a waterproof one in the car and we take it out and can put it by the fire pit without worrying about it soaking through.

Wow!  These dogs are high maintenance aren't they??!!  

Comments