At least there was sun

 Booker woke us up this morning at around 7:40 AM.   On work days we get up at 7 AM, but on weekends we typically sleep until 8.  Booker is usually really good about letting us sleep in.  So maybe he just really had to pee.  But I tend to think that for a 5 month old puppy he just hasn't been able to get out all the energy that he needs to to be as tired out as he should.

So we got up and he played but after a bit both dogs were just staring me down.  I looked at the weather station and saw that it was 3 degree out.  Yes 3 degrees and the F stands for more than just Fahrenheit in my book!

I debated and then thought I would take them out for a very short walk.  In this weather though, I can't just grab their leashes and head out the door.  First I have to get myself ready, including Cuddl Duds, a heavy sweatshirt and sweatpants, some thick socks, a scarf, beanie, mittens and ski jacket.   Then for the dogs I put on a sweater that I crocheted and their jackets.  At this point I was wondering if all that effort was worth it!

We headed out the door and fortunately the sun was shining and there was no wind.   I was surprised that it didn't feel as cold as I expected.  I planned for us to walk just a mile, especially since our road had a layer of snow on it - it's nearly impossible for the plows to completely clean off side roads when the temps are this cold.  

Booker was so excited to be walking!  He was jumping up and down and playfully biting at Sisko.  By the time we got to where I anticipated turning around, we all wanted to keep going.  It was quiet - any snow on the ground tends to muffle sounds anyway and there was hardly any traffic for a frigid cold Sunday morning. 

We did a full 3 mile walk and I actually think Sisko - who runs as hot as a furnace - was overdressed.

I am so glad that I took them for a walk this morning.  I believe that we - as pet parents - have a responsibility to fulfill our dogs needs.  My idea of a great morning does not involve bundling up and walking on snow covered roads!  But the dogs need to get out for fresh air and exercise.

Then we changed into pajamas and had a treat.


If the goal was to tire them out, it definitely worked!

Comments