Thunder, th-th-thunder

 As Imagine Dragons would say....

For so many dogs, thunder can cause panic.  Related, of course, is fireworks.  I think that July 4th is the number one day for dogs to go missing every year as they panic and just run...

We have luckily never had that problem.  Our very first dog as a couple was B'Elanna, a German Shepherd.  She was slightly nervous around fireworks but it wasn't severe and it actually caused her to cower close to us. 

Once while we we camping in the Finger Lakes, we were sitting by the campfire and a huge storm suddenly rolled in.  We yelled at the dogs to run for the tent.  At the time Archer was still with still with us and his big bro Chakotay.  We dove into the tent as the wind picked up, torrential rain came down and a crack of thunder so loud it made my teeth chatter.  Marc and I looked at each other wide eyed and then I looked at the dogs.  Chakotay was laying on the air mattress and was actually snoring.  Archer was calmly licking his paw and looked up like "What?!" and paused mid-lick when he saw me staring.

Yes, we have been lucky.  I have been waiting for a thunderstorm since we got Booker since he is such a tightly wound little bugger.  I have been anxious to see his reation. A couple of weeks ago I thought we were going to find out but the storm mostly missed us and the thunder was only lightly heard in the distance.

Last night they were calling for a big storm to move right over us.  Sure enough just as we settled into bed the wind picked up and it started to rain.  We saw a flash and the ruling started.  As usual, Sisko was stretched out on his bed happily snoring away as a big KABOOM of thunder hit.  I looked anxiously at Booker and....

NOTHING !!  😄😄😄😄  the storm with it's thunder and lightning last a full 10 minutes and Booker never even looked up.  He was laid out on his bed as he is every night.

So I am hopeful that this will translate to fireworks as July 4th is right around the corner!


Comments